12 Cognacs of Christmas
Earlier this fall, I sent out a call to industry as I was hoping to acquire 4 or 5 VSOP Cognac samples for a Rum Chums Tasting as well s for a series of Cognac reviews to publish. The response I received was nothing short of amazing as instead of just a few VSOP Cognac, I also received an assortment of VS Cognac, and an even larger assortment of XO Cognac. Instead of one tasting for my Rum Chums, I needed to schedule two. As well, the folks at PMA Canada arranged for me to have a special meeting with Richard Bush, the Area Manager (US Travel Retail, Canada and the Caribbean) for Camus Wines & Spirits. At that meeting, Richard stepped me through the entire production process for Camus Cognac (from grape to glass), and then he proceeded to give me a special tasting of the entire Camus line-up (the line-up available in Canada that is), and gave me samples afterwards of each spirit such that I could review them here on my website afterwards.
This meant that instead of 4 or 5 VSOP spirits to review, I had suddenly acquired sixteen spirits, 3 VS, 5 VSOP, and 8 XO Cognac spirits. I decided to leave the VS spirits alone for the time being such that I could concentrate on the more premium VSOP and XO. As this meant I had quite a few spirits to review, and because we are in the run up to Christmas, I thought a special 12 Cognacs of Christmas review series would be rather fun. (Yes, I realize that ‘Cognacs’ is not a proper plural form of this noun, but the title certainly reads better when written that way.)
This is not meant to be a definitive listing of the Best Cognac in the World, but is a rather good representation of some well-known brands, with a few of the smaller Cognac Houses represented as well.
Advent lists are rather fun, and so I shall reveal the spirits one at a time, hopefully adding a little fun and suspense to the listing. The review of my most preferred Cognac will be revealed on Christmas Eve.
And here they are (with a new spirit revealed every second day), The 12 Cognacs of Christmas!
*(Actually because of a tie at 12th place, we have a baker’s dozen)
12) Rémy Martin VSOP (Fine Champagne) (87 pts)
12) Courvoisier Fine Champagne VSOP (87 pts)
11) Hennesy Priveledge VSOP (88 pts)
10) H by Hine Fine Champagne Cognac (VSOP) (88.5)
09) Pierre Ferrand Ambre (Grande Champagne Cognac) (89)
08) CAMUS VSOP Elegance Cognac (89.5 pts)
07) Pierre Ferrand Reserve (Grande Champagne) (90.5)
06) Camus Elegance XO (91.5)
05) CAMUS XO Borderies (92.5 pts)
04) Pierre Ferrand Selection Des Anges (Grande Champagne) (93 pts)
03) Hennessy XO (93.5)
02) Pierre Ferrand Cigare (94)
01) CAMUS Extra Elegance (95)
- You may find my Countdown list of the 2014 Top 25 Rums here: The Rum Howler 2014 – Top 25 Rums
- You may find my Countdown list of the 2014 Top 25 Canadian Whiskies here: The Rum Howler 2014 – Top 25 Canadian Whiskies (link will be provided soon)
- You may find my 2014 Gin and Tonic Challenge listing here: The Rum Howler 2014 Gin and Tonic Challenge